Today, on my way home,
I suddenly found
all of the trees had been cut down.
Firm young firs grappling with the ground
for a foothold.
Tall knotted grandmothers
comfortably growing still more old.
Straight-backed oaks,
breaking the gray of my dark
winter days.
Chopped-hacked-
sawed-chunked-piled.
Awaiting their turn
to be carted away.
I was enraged.
Who gave whom
the right to ruin
so many days and days
of sunshine and of rain?
Who gave whom the
right to ruin the holding away of
empty space that these trees had
claimed?
I saw,
scattered on the ground like thick pick-up sticks,
black plastic pipes,
awaiting their burial.
Who will bury my trees?
My half-mile or so of wooded drive,
raped and plundered in the half-day I was away?
Who will fill the empty space where all the
growing things have now been razed?
They, they, they,
have emptied my day of a comfort
I did not know I had.
They, they, they,
have chopped to bits and pieces a thing
that only just existed.
I will forget in some number of days.
I will find a different way to go.
My eyes will rest unseeing on some other holder of place,
until that, too,
is one day,
suddenly,
taken
away.

No comments:
Post a Comment